Because A Friday Treat is the Perfect Way to End the Week!

Friday 15 June 2012

My Version of Rocky Road



I’ll admit, this week I haven’t been particularly original or exciting but I have been fun – what’s more fun than grabbing a load of confectionary and snacks, smothering them in chocolate and squishing them into bars of rocky road? I can tell you – not much. Although it’s not something that necessarily requires a recipe and most people probably have their own version, but here’s mine and it’s pretty delicious and Treat Friday worthy...in my opinion anyway!


This week has been fairly boring for me with this being my first day off work since last week’s Treat Friday. Adding to that I’ve spent the week attempting to be super healthy in order to try and detoxify my body from all the cake and trifle I had during the birthday celebrations last week. Now I’m heading away for the weekend though and I’ll probably eat and drink rubbish again and have to start the process all over again next week...fine!


Now onto the Rocky Road, I have to admit that it’s not something that I particularly have a great love for. I don’t dislike it, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not something I’d necessarily choose given a choice of cakes or bars. I’ve made it a couple of times though, the first time being by request for my younger sister when she finished her exams several years ago. This particular time, I followed a recipe from one of my favourite cook books and...it was a monster. Literally, this stuff had 2kg of chocolate in the recipe and that was just the tip of the iceberg. It was huge and sickly and of such scale that it looked like you could probably build a house with the brick sized portions. Anyway, lesson learned – any recipe that uses more confectionary than you’d otherwise eat in a year, should be generally avoided.


Consider my version the scaled-down, no industrial but still delicious version. Of course, feel free to substitute the additions I’ve made with your preferences but I’d suggest sticking with similar quantities.


No tips this week – look out next week for my dark chocolate and sour cherry loaf cake!

Rocky Road
Ingredients
200g Milk Chocolate (broken into small chunks)
200g Dark Chocolate (broken into small chunks)
1 tbsp. Golden Syrup
75g Mini Marshmallows
75g Digestive Biscuits (broken up)
75g Honeycomb
50g Salted Peanuts
200g White Chocolate (broken into small chunks)

9inch Square Cake Pan

1)      Line the cake pan with tin foil and lightly grease with butter. Melt together the golden syrup, milk and dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
2)      While the chocolate and syrup is melting, combine the marshmallows, biscuits, honeycomb and salted peanuts together in a large bowl. When the chocolate and syrup are fully melted, pour over the dry ingredients and stir until evenly combined.
3)      Tip this into the prepared pan and press down until fairly even. Again in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, melt the white chocolate. Pour this melted white chocolate over the top of the rocky road. Leave or chill until fully set before slicing into bars.





0 comments:

Post a Comment